High Temperature Insulations Based on Fiberglass
The special fibreglass for high temperature application is produced from a mixture of quartz sand and pure alumina with the addition of alkali oxides. Appropriately selected chemical composition and surface preparation protect them of hot gases and aggressive chemicals influence and enable long work in high temperatures, there is ST basic yarn type. For the same insulating applications could be use typical E-glass fibre too with diameter on level 6 - 11 μm. After relaxation and preparation the E-glass gives SE yarn type, which can be use for more smooth and flexible final products with higher resistance to wear under dynamic conditions.
At the next stage the fibreglass roving is formed by texturing and twisting process to bushy insulation yarns with various sizes, from 600 up to 5000 TEX. The textured yarns are the base of all kinds of textile insulations as woven, knitted, braided materials, such as tapes, cloths, cords, ropes, sleeves.
Benefits and properties
Among the most important properties of fibreglass should point out the following:
- The stability at medium temperatures and the high resistance of thermal shocks.
- The low thermal conductance and the low coefficient of heat accumulation.
- The extreme high mechanical strength, and resistance of most chemicals.
- As the product of molten sand is environment friendly and can be easily utilised.
The insulations made of fibreglass are known for several dozen years and they are still intensively modernised. This material gives us huge saving of energy and reduction of waste, the reduction of heat losses also emissions of harmful gases. Undoubtedly this is the modern, ecological as well as the economic solution, with the huge potential of development in the industry and energetic.
Types and sizes of FG goods
Range of sizes and production capabilities fibreglass insulation is very wide. Basic types and specifications of these products are presented in the table below. It is a mainstream market demand to meet the demands of most customers. However, there is possibility to manufacture other materials, based on the specific needs of customers. Basic types of glass insulation products for general purpose are as follows:
- Ropes ST550 type S, D - soft ropes braided from texturised ST yarn.
- Ropes and tape SE500 - braided from flexible SE yarn of high insulation properties.
- Cloth ST550 G - plane cloth, woven from ST texturised yarn can be reinforced of wire.
- Cloth ST550 Alu - with reflective metalic surface with increased insulation and with IR reflective coefficient over 85%.
- Combo mat MTS - mat combines with cloth made of E-glass fibre, it combines the strength of cloth with the insulation of mat.
- Tapes ST550 - braided from texturised ST glass yarn. The tapes can be covered metal foil, silicone, glue or braided in ladder form.
- Sleeve ST550 - braided in sleeves form with various diameters and thicknesses, it could be uses for insulating as sleeve or tape. The sleeves covered silicone can be use as electrical insulation up to 1kV.
Areas of application
The first of all, the ST and SE fibreglass products are use as insulation, shields and seals in medium temperature applications, especially as a substitute and equivalent of previously used asbestos textile. Energy production, metallurgy and other kind of industry are the domain of application this material. They use it in isolations of blocks, industrial furnaces, heavy machinery as gas seals, shields, varies kind of pads also as carrier material for roller conveyors.